Still digesting from the Apple iPad2 event, but here are some specifics.
Update: Apple discounting the original iPad! Get ’em now $399 and $349!
- Same 9.7″ form factor – 1024X768 resolution at 132ppi
- New A5 Processor – DualCore delivering up to 2 times the CPU processing power of the original iPad and 9 times the graphical power
- Dual Cameras – Front and Back. Front is VGA at 30fps, Back is 720P HD recording + Stills with a 5X zoom (No statement on megapixels), Tap to control exposure on video or stills, Plus Photo and Video geotagging over wifi
- 1080P Mirrored HDMI Video out – Works on APP apps (orientation aware)
- Bluetooth and Wifi (a/b/g/n) (plus 3G cellular on 3G Models)
- 3-axis Gyroscope and Accelerometer
- Digital Compass
- Thinner than the iPhone 4 at 8.8mm weighing 1.33lbs
- Maintains the 10 hour battery life!
- 3G versions available for both AT&T and Verizon
- Available at launch March 11, 2011 in both White and Black
- Click here for full Tech Specs
The specs are really impressive. At one point in the event, Steve Jobs demoed a new app – PhotoBooth where he was showing 9 live video streams. In addition, both iMovie and Garageband have made the jump to the iPad2. Both of those apps will hopefully help to finally shift people thoughts and make them aware that this is NOT just a consumption device.
Additionally, Apple is launching a new “cover” for the iPad2. Using a magnetic lock, it only covers the screen and wakes and sleeps the iPad2 when flipped on or off… It also adds almost no weight to the device and can be used like current iPad cases as a display stand in either orientation.
Here is a link to Apple’s iPad2 video preview
iOS 4.3 was displayed at the event as well.
New to iOS 4.3:
- Airplay Enhancements – Stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your HDTV via Apple TV. In addition to music, movies, and photos, AirPlay now streams video from your Photos app. Slideshow themes are now a part of AirPlay. Additionally, Apple is allowing AirPlay enabled apps…
- iTunes Home Sharing – Now you can play your entire iTunes library from anywhere in the house. Mac or PC, play it on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over a shared Wi-Fi network. Watch a movie or TV show,listen to music, a podcast or an audiobook. On whichever device you want — without having to download or sync.
- Slide Switch – You can now set whether you want the slide switch to be a mute button or an orientation lock.
- iPhone 4 Personal Hotspot – You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.
Overall, the new iPad2 is going to be an amazing device and extremely compelling for anyone interested in getting a “tablet”. Even though I received the original iPad just the past Christmas, I will be in line to waiting at my house to get the iPad2 as well.
While Apple is calling this new device iPad2, there is no longer any mention of the original iPad on Apple’s site. Over the past few days more and more stories have been coming out about iPad supplies being constrained and in the case of BestBuy being “deleted” from inventory. This is a shift from the iPhone strategy which was to roll previous models out at a new lower price providing a lower entry point for consumers interested in the iPhone, but not desiring to purchase at the higher price point of the new device. With iPad2 on the way March 11th, It appears that the original iPad is being phased out completely. I still love my iPad, and even though I am purchasing and iPad2 my family and I will continue to use it for a long while into the future.
Love you hear our thoughts on the iPad2