[final update: Apple just posted a streamed high quality version of the keynote here. Additionally, there are many blogs and articles written about what is coming in iPhone OS4. Check out my "What am I thinking about?" section to the right for a some of those articles. Here's looking to summer! (However, with 4.0 coming, I need to update at least my wife's 3G phone… )
[update 2: the official Apple iPhone OS4 page is up! Check it out for more detailed information. This is a good preview for Enterprise IT folks. Love the background possibilities for VOIP (like Skype) calls and multitasking during App calls / 3rd party app interaction.]
Follow the information on the update live from MacNN here: http://www.macnn.com/live
Great update information so far. I will update once the press event is finished.
[update 1] Hot Information:
- 450,000 iPads sold as of Thursday. 600,000 iBooks
- 4 billion app downloads so far; 185,000 total apps in the App Store, 3,500 of which are for the iPad
- iPhone 4.0: due in summer 2010. Over 1,500 new APIs, including accessing the calendar, photo library, video camera data… quick look, SMS, full map overlays, and automated testing for apps.
- 5x digital zoom, playlists, tap-to-focus video, Places in photos, home screen wallpaper, file & delete mail search results, Bluetooth keyboards
- iPhone 4 developer preview TODAY: http://developer.apple.com . Full features imited to iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3rd-gen (32GB/64GB). They'll run "pretty much everything." iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2nd gen will run most, but won't handle multitasking; the hardware just isn't up to it. iPad gets the update in the fall.
- Any change of heart on Flash and Java? Jobs: No [Personal comment: GOOD DIE FLASH!]
- MULTITASKING. Double-tap the home button: shows currently running apps – PANDORA WILL BACKGROUND STREAM!!! YEAH!
- FOLDERS. for app organization: Users drag apps on to one another to create folders; you can then tap on that folder to see the available apps.
- UNIFIED MAIL INBOX. All mail gets pooled together. You can also now have more than one Microsoft Exchange account. It's still possible to focus on just one account, so fast switching is in place. You can sort messages by the conversation thread. Attachments can now be opened by App Store titles, not just official apps.
- iBOOKS. for iPhone/iPod
- ENTERPRISE. Tougher e-mail encryption, as well as data encryption within apps themselves through APIs. Mobile device management; ability to wirelessly distribute apps through a company's own servers. VPNs can now use SSL. (to enterprise devices only)
- SOCIAL GAMING PLATFORM. Apple has added a social gaming network. Automatic matchmaking (player finding) at similar skill levels. Achievement system.
- iAD. Buckled right into the OS! Apple wants to do more than just get the impressions. "We want to change the quality of the advertising." We know interactive ads on the web, but they're not capable of delivering emotion…video, in app, breadcrumbs, immediate app response…
Other minor features highlighted in a slide of iPhone 4.0 enhancements include:
File & delete Mail search results
Search SMS/MMS messages
Web search suggestions
Choose image size in Mail messages
Larger fonts for Mail, SMS & alerts
Cell data only setting
Recent Web searches
Top Hit in search
5x digital zoom
Tap to focus video
Upload workouts to Nike+
Places in Photos
Home screen wallpaper
Search SMS/MMS messages
Wake on wireless
Keynote is over and what a great one it was (IMHO). Here is a great quote from Steve Jobs:
"Users shouldn't have to think about certain elements of the interface. If you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager, they blew it. Users shouldn't have to ever, ever, EVER think about that stuff."
He "get's it" which is why the iPhone and iPad have been very successful to date. The iPad IS a game changer for the novice user, for the younger generation, for the fed up, for the in between the laptop and the pocket, for the traveler, for education… I am waiting for the 3G version before I get my hands on one full time, but what an amazing possibility when OS4 hit it!