Last Saturday 01/09/2010, I had the distinct privilege and pleasure to attend my wife's grandmother's 90 Birthday. Josephine Weathers is a really remarkable woman in her own right. But the things that she has seen in her lifetime have created the future we know today. This post is about some of the events she has seen through the NINE decades that she has been alive!
One of nine children born into the Carolo family, she has been witness to all of the major events since 1920:
- Eight months after she was born, women gain the right to vote through the ratification of the 19th Amendment. (She feels that she was the catalyst for this event).
- She saw the growth of the automobile, and the creation of the auto industry AND the airline industry move from the privileged to the masses.
- She was present for prohibition, Black Friday and the Great Depression and FDR's New Deal.
- She saw the invention of the television and jump from 3 channels to hundreds, to high definition, to now 3D?!
- She saw the horror of the Hindenburg Disaster.
- She was the start of World War II, and heard announcement of the the attack on Pearl Harbor, and celebrated VE and VJ Days.
- She witnessed the rise and fall of the Berlin Wall, communism and the Cold War .
- She cheered on the Civil Rights Movement, and cried over the Vietnam War.She looked to the skies with the rest of the world as Sputnik rocketed to the stars and the stood in awe as the United Stated landed a man on the moon.
- She experienced the US (and global) shock and sadness of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
- She sang and danced to the revolution of Rock and Roll.
- She is still interested in learning how to use a computer… "just because I think I should know…" after seeing Eniac come online and the creation of the Information Age. (For that matter, shes lived through the United States being the center of the manufacturing era, the service, era, and moving through the information era…)
- She got to watch George Lucas' Star Wars and Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars).
- She was stunned when the Space Shuttle Challenge exploded shortly after takeoff.
- She rode the wave of the DOT COM craze and endured as the bubble burst.
- She listened to a future President play the saxophone, and gathered around the television to see the first black american elected to the Presidency.
- She bore witness to the terrorist attacks on 9/11/2001.
- She glorified in the birth of her two great grand children and has lived everyday for them since 2004.
- She has experienced, for a second time, a worldwide economic collapse during which four of the industries she watched grow came tumbling down… airlines, housing, automotive, and banking.
Through it all, Nana has remained an elegant, optimistic, down to earth, vibrant, caring, and compassionate individual.
Happy 90th Birthday Nana!
and as Joshua said, AND MANY MORE!!!!!
(click here to view the complete party archive)